23 July 2009

UBahn


Amigos,

I apologize. I didn't write yesterday. I had absolutely nothing to write about, so I took a day break. I know, I'm sorry. I apologize to you all. I thought that I would not write anything rather than write garbage. Though today, the wheels are churning. I'm getting this one in so that I can leave the door open for possibly another entry later this afternoon. Who knows. We will see.

One thing that I really like about Berlin is the Ubahn, or the subway. I have always liked public transportation. It makes so much sense to me. It is relatively cheap, cuts down on emissions, and can be a wonderful experience. I don't every have to pay for gas because I can hop on the Ubahn and head to class. While I've only substantially experienced one other public transportation system, I absolutely love the idea. This is the first time that I've gotten to live in a place where I can use it for longer than a week, so I'm really starting to learn the ins and outs of the Berlin Ubahn.

I'm beginning to learn more and more about the stops. I start everyday at Breitenbachplatz. But that's the only important thing to understand. There are three different exits at Breitenbachplatz. When I first arrived at Breitenbachplatz, I had no idea where to go, so I just went up the first set of stairs I found. Wrong. I had to cross two roads and walk through a little garden before I made it to Binger Strasse, where I live. The second exit in the middle isn't so bad. I've still got to cross a couple streets, but it isn't so bad. There's also a food stand in front of it in case I'm hungry. The best exit is the third. I only have to cross one street, and the entrance is located conveniently next to a crosswalk. Perfect. I'm not so sure about the exits for many of the stops I find, but I think it's coming easier and easier.

My familiarity with the entire system is growing daily. For my commute, I begin on line U3 toward Nollendorferplatz, transfer to U7 toward Rathaus Spandau at Fehrbellinerplatz until I finally arrive at Wilhelmsdorferplatz. The U3 is a bit tangential. It doesn't really serve much of Berlin. The U7 is nice--you can take it to Olympiastadion, to Potsdamer Platz if you want to see a movie, Alexanderplatz for all kinds of different things, Stadtmitte for museums,etc, etc. I also use the U9 pretty often, too (transfer at Spichnern Strasse). From here you can access the shopping Mecca of Kurfurstendamm as well as the Zoo at Zoologischer Garten.

I think, though, what I love most about it all is the people watching. You can get a really good sense of the Berliners by seeing who all gets on the Ubahn, because nearly everyone uses the system. I like seeing what people read, what they wear, how they handle their cell phone, what they're talking about (if I can understand), how aggressively people make out (yes...yuck). In another life, I'd be a sociologist and study human behavior on public transportation. It is probably the most substantial time I will spend with real Germans, and it is interesting to watch them in their natural habitat. I like to think about where people might be going, what jobs they have (or don't have), and what kind of plans they might have. I think how people act on subways can be a really revealing part of a culture. Berliners do not like to talk to one another on the train. They sit with their headphones, newspapers, or nothing and just stare off.
I did see one really great interaction once that completely defied my understanding of the Berlin Ubahn behavior. A woman was standing next to the door when the train stopped. She could see an older man approaching the door to leave, and she pushed the button on the door to open it for him. He was so thankful that she had opened it for him. It was almost as though he was shocked that someone would be generous enough to push the button for him. He reacted like someone had just given him a million dollars. Afterward he left, but after only a couple of steps, he turned around to thank her again. He took what looked like a rolled poster out of his bag and tried to give it to her. She wouldn't take it, but it was the most interaction I have seen between two strangers on the Ubahn yet. It was fun to watch.

While the system seems complex, the simplicity of it all is wonderful. I get on. I sit. I get off. Simple as that. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time, but really, who is complaining? I don't have to drive? I don't have to sit in traffic. Sometimes I have to stand up, but so long as I can lean against a pole or a wall, I'm golden. This is also an important thing because you don't want to be the guy who gets thrown around the car when the train stops and starts. That looks so rural.

Have a good one, and you might hear from me later!

Deutsches Wort des Tages:

die Bequemlichkeit -- convenience

No comments: