06 July 2009

I have arrived.

Hello, hello my blog friends,

I made it safely to Berlin, something that I wasn't completely sure would actually happen. I got in yesterday around 7pm Berlin time and was completely exhausted. Still am. Not sure how much longer I will actually be up.

Before I left, though, my family, Danielle, and I went to Cincinnati to catch a baseball game before I few out the next day. I must say that it was possibly the most American thing that I could have done before I left. We all enjoyed America's pastime with America's oldest baseball team with some good American food. It was a great game, too. Albert Pujols hit a grand slam. Don't see that every day. After the game, we saw the most incredible fireworks display I think I will ever experience. It was incredible, and I never thought that I would use that word to describe a fireworks show (aside from incredibly boring). I've never seen fireworks like this before. Rockets red glare fo' sho.

Traveling wasn't so bad. O'Hare was a lot crummier than I thought, but Heathrow was wonderful. All kinds of shops and food and British accents. I met some people from Tennessee while I was eating a meal (I'd say it was lunch, but I'm not sure what my body thought it was). The only reason I said something to them was because I thought I wouldn't hear accents like that for two months. I also got to watch some Wimbledon with some Brits. Coming and going from Heathrow, I didn't get a chance to really see anything good, but I did get a pretty good look at the new Wembly Stadium. For those of you wondering, it looks great.

Now I'm in Berlin, and what I've seen so far is pretty great. My accommodations are great, though I've still yet to meet my host, Nicolas. He's apparently in Italy for a few more days. He's got a town house-type place, and he evidently keeps students often. I've been told that there are two other students staying here also, but I've yet to meet them. I did encounter someone leaving the shower yesterday. It wasn't anything uncomfortable, but I hear someone leave, so I peaked my head out of my room to say hello. The person just looked at me funny and went back to the bathroom. Maybe a second try is in store.

I start all of my classes tomorrow, and I'm pretty excited about it. It will be nice to--breaking news: I just met someone who will be staying in this house. His name is Josef and he is from Croatia. He seemed nice--get some sort of structure and to start learning German again. It has been a whole year since I've had any sort of formal German class for a year now, and I'm a bit rusty. Hearing and seeing all the German in the train and subway stations has been really great. I know that some don't, but I think German sounds really beautiful, and I haven't listened to it spoken this much probably ever. I like trying to eavesdrop and understand what people are saying. If I were in America, I'd definitely ride trains and subways with my iPod, but now I feel like I'd be missing something if I did that.

I haven't become confident speaking German yet, but I'm sure it will come. It has happened twice so far. First was trying to find currency exchange in the airport. I asked a security man in German, and he started telling me about something. He said something and then "geht vor" which sounds just like "gate four" in English. I'm sure that's not what he said. Then today, I got a doner kebab from a shop near my house for dinner. I asked them to fix it to go by saying "zu gehen." The kind, little old lady said "In Germany, it's anpacken." Thank you, kind German woman. Your generosity and helpfulness will not be forgotten.

Well, that's the story so far, ladies and gentlemen. I hope you are all taking care of America for me.

Deutsches Wort des Tages:

müde -- tired


No comments: