16 July 2009

These are a few of my not favorite things

So far, most of Germany has been great. I really like my class, the people, the city, the experiences, etc, etc. But not all is well. Germany is wonderful, but there are some things that just aren't right. I thought today I'd elaborate on a few if the things that aren't so hot--

1. Drink size. This only pertains to cokes. I can't ever complain about the beer sizes. They're perfect and large. But I don't always want to drink a beer. Sometimes I want a nice Coca-Cola or a Fanta. In German, these portions are tiny. Miniscule. It is what I might serve a baby if I was going to bring him or her a coke. It is as if Germany only has a limited amount of coke and is required to ration it by serving obnoxiously small portions to its soda-drinking community. I guess since I come from the home of the extra-large Mountain Dew, then I'm simply used to larger drinks. But if any of you have been to a restaurant with me before might know that I get about two or three refills. I can't survive on just a shot of coke with an entire meal. Especially with the food and portions that Germans serve. I don't think this issue is specific to Germany, for I remember drinks being small in Vietnam and India, but I only visited those places for 3 weeks each. I've got about 6 weeks left here.

2. Ice. There is none. Period. You want ice? Might be time for you to pack up and head out. Ice does so much for a drink. It cools a drink. Not all drinks are best cold, but when I'm having lunch, I often want to enjoy it with a nice, crisp, cold Coca-Cola. I don't have that option in Germany. I recently bought a 2-liter of Fanta and have put it in my fridge. I'm considering freezing it so that I can have something similar to ice. Then the bottle might explode. Then I'd have a mess on my hands. All because Germany doesn't have ice.

3. Bicycles. I do not have a problem with bicycles. I think they're actually pretty great and have recently thought a lot about purchasing one of my own. They're great for the environment, and they're great ways to keep in shape. I've noticed, though, that the manners of bike riders here in Germany are aggravating. One of the hardest things I dealt with when I first arrived was staying out of the "bike lane" on the sidewalk. In my neighborhood, there is a thin, red brick strip in the sidewalk that looks like a nice walking path. I generally walk on sidewalks, so I walked in that path. Then I heard it. The soft, passive-aggressive "ting-ting" of the bicycle bell. I understand that it is a signal to let unsuspecting walkers know that a bike rider is coming up behind them, but to me it says, "Get the hell out of my way, idiot!" It's like a car horn, except it is that much more aggravating because it sounds so much more polite. There is plenty of space in the road for you, German bike riders. Please steer clear of me, and please stop ringing your bells at me.

4. Pavement. It is slippery. Not on a regular basis. If it is a nice, sunny day in Berlin, everything is fine. I can walk with the assurance that my feet will remain under me the entire time and I won't have to take an unexpected sit-down break in the middle of the sidewalk. But on rainy days, that stuff is almost like ice. While I have yet to fall, I feel as though it is only a matter of time. I can't see myself going the next six weeks without falling down on a rainy day. My shoes are perfectly good shoes; they don't lack any kind of traction, and my sandals are billed as "outdoor performance gear." I just know, though, that it is bound to happen. One day, a cool, refreshing rain will fall on Berlin. I will be walking across the plaza at Wilhelmsdorfer Straße, and bam! On the ground. Probably bruised.

These are all simply little things. I expected there to be positives and negatives and most everything (aside from small things like these) has been wonderful. I think most of all, the absence of friends and family is the worst part. I'm meeting people and having a great time, but there are many times when I wish I could be having these experience with the people I love. I love sharing my experiences through this blog with everyone, but I sometimes wish you all could just be here with me to do it all with me. Thanks for following along!

NOTE: I apologize for the lack of pictures thus far. Recently, I have had difficulty finding a converter to use with my cameras so that I can charge them. I am trying to save the battery on my big camera because I will be taking a trip to Sachsenhausen on Sunday. Luckily, my crafty girlfriend has located a place where I can find a converter, and I plan on picking one up ASAP. So I will try to bring you more diverse media in the future!

Deutsches Wort des Tages:

lästig -- bothersome



No comments: