06 August 2009

I'm on a boat and it's going fast and...


I'm on top of the world, on a boat like Leo. If you're on the shore, then you sure ain't me-o.

Today I went on an Institute-scheduled program--a boat ride on the Spree River. The Spree runs through Berlin, and from it, you can see many of the famous sights around Berlin. I must say it was hot today. It definitely wasn't Kentucky hot or Alabama hot, but it certainly was warm. I didn't let a little hea
t and a little sun keep me from relaxing atop a tourist boat in the middle of Berlin.

When I say this ride was relaxing, I really mean it. The top of the boat wasn't too busy, so I had room to spread out a little bit. The soft hum of the boat motor mixed with the breeze made for an all around enjoyable atmosphere. After we floated past the Government Quarter, I nearly fell asleep. Not from boredom but from excess relaxing.

What I really enjoyed about this trip was that I could see some things that I had already visited from a different angle. I've included pictures from the Berliner Dom and Additionally, the Great Outdoors is something that I don't get to experience enough. I don't know if someone would count the middle of Berlin as the "Great Outdoors," but something about the boat made me think of the lake which in turn, made me think of Kentucky Lake and the forests, etc.
So in my mind, I was certainly in the "Great Outdoors."

These programs that the Goethe-Institut facilitated for us have been really great. Even though I've separated/lost from two of them, it has helped me see what Berlin has to offer. I don't know if I would have been able to see the same things had I not had the same type of program. Tomorrow, we're going on a bike tour of Berlin. That should be wonderful. Do you know why? I haven't ridden a bike for a substantial distance for probably 8 years. I signed a waiver saying that I know how to ride a bike. I probably should have signed a waiver saying that I used to be able to ride a bike and I'm pretty sure I can still ride one. I will definitely let you all know how that adventure goes. Additionally, the 3 day Berlin Beer Festival starts tomorrow. Prepare thyself. 300 breweries.

Sorry for the short length today. Take care, and I'll be back tomorrow.

Deutsches Wort des Tages:

das Boot -- boat

No comments: