02 September 2009

Wednesday

Our time is becoming ever shorter. It is sad, I know. But let's be thankful for what we've got left.

Now, Berlin was certainly wonderful. Nothing, though, is perfect. I bring to you the list of things that I will NOT miss about Berlin:

1. The dogs-- Let me preface this by saying that the dogs in Berlin are the best behaved dogs I have ever seen in my entire life. I hardly heard any barking, and owners used leashes seldom. The dogs would obediently follow their owners, sit, stay, lay, and do all things that well behaved dogs do. That being said, it became evident that Germans don't think it's a particularly good idea to clean up after their dogs. It was not uncommon to see piles of dog business along the sidewalks EVERYWHERE. Let's get with it, Germany. I intentionally didn't blog about this while in Germany because I didn't want to jinx myself, but now I can safely say this: I never stepped in any gross dog mess. Woo!

2. Kentucky-- Before you blog readers get up in arms about this, I was not embarrassed at all to be from Kentucky while I was in Germany. What I won't miss is the reaction I got whenever I said I was from Kentucky. Almost without fail, I'd hear, "Ahh! Kentucky Fried Chicken!" Ugh. Of course. Kentucky Fried Chicken. Wonderful. I don't even blame the Germans for this. Other students at the Goethe Institut were guilty of this, too. ATTN: World. More things come from Kentucky than just chicken. Let me say this though, we could be known for worse things. Everyone thinks Kentucky Fried Chicken is delicious. That's an undeniable fact. So you're welcome, world.

3. Math-- I didn't have to do a whole lot of math. The most difficult type of math I attempted required me to subtract either 7 hours or 6 hours from Berlin time. That wasn't bad. What was frustrating was the math that I didn't even attempt: metric conversions! Bah! I understand the entire world uses metrics. American scientists use metrics, too. I'm no American scientist. I just happen to know that I'm about 1.8M tall because I've created myself in my FIFA games before. How much do I weigh? About 180lbs. In kilograms? No idea. I wasn't asked my height or weight very often (and by that I mean never), but metrics did hamper my experience on two occasions. First, at the deli counter. I asked for 500 grams of ham. Apparently 500 grams of ham is only five slices. I bet that deli worker thought I was ridiculous asking for that small amount. Second, temperature. I didn't even attempt to make these conversions. My classmates would come to school and say things like, "Man, it is going to be a hot one today! 30 degrees!" I beg your pardon? 30 degrees. What does that mean? I know that 0 degrees Celsius is freezing. That is all. Needless to say, I never experienced freezing weather. Here is the equation that would have been helpful:
C = 5/9(F-32)
Am I going to do that in my head? No.

All joking aside, I won't miss being an ocean away from the people I care about most. While being in Alabama isn't much different than being in Berlin, it is comforting to be on the same continent as all of you. U-S-A all the way!

Deutsches Wort des Tages:

die Schwierigkeit -- challenge

1 comment:

Leslie Hast said...

I got a good tip on the celsius conversion once that I will gladly share with you. Consider 20 degrees room temperature (which I suppose is about 70F). And if you know 0 is freezing, then you can pretty much estimate the rest. 10C? That's probably around 50F. 30C? I'd guess 90F. It's easy!